Slow Cooker or Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Soup is a meal the whole family can get behind. Kid’s and adults alike love a comforting bowl of soup on a cold winter’s day. This recipe should fit into anyones busy schedule because you can either throw it in to cook in a slow cooker before work or you can prepare it in no time at all in your Instant Pot after work. Either way you can’t go wrong with this tasty meal that is not only a good addition to your Lifestyle Plan but it is also detox friendly so enjoy it on your Two-Week Detox Plan too.
The ingredients are the same whether you use a slow cooker or Instant Pot but the directions vary slightly so I have them listed separately below the ingredient list. Always make sure your chicken is organic, free range. If your chicken is frozen you can cook the slow cooker on high or use your Instant Pot. For frozen chicken the Instant Pot will take a little longer to reach the high pressure but the directions will remain the same.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 1/2 lbs. uncooked chicken breast (fresh or frozen)
1 box (28 oz.) POMI tomatoes or 5 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 small can of organic corn
1 can garbonzo beans, rinsed and drained or you may use dried beans
10 oz. salsa
1 medium onion, chopped
4 oz. can of chopped chilis
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups water
2 cups unsalted chicken stock
3-4 T chili powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 bay leaf
4 T fresh chopped cilantro (add more if you desire)
1 T lime juice
Directions for Slow Cooker:
1. Place chicken on the bottom of slow cooker. Place all ingredients except the lime juice on top and stir gently to combine.
2. Cook for 6-8 hours on low. If using frozen chicken cook for 3-4 hours on high.
3. Before serving remove chicken and use 2 forks to shred.
4. Return chicken to pot and add lime juice if desired.
Directions for Instant Pot:
1. Add everything to the pot and stir. (If you want to add an additional step you can saute the onions first however I do not feel this step makes any difference in the outcome of the soup).
2. Close lid and cook on high for 14 minutes if using canned beans or 22 minutes if using dried beans.
3. Quick release or let it release on its own.
4. Remove chicken and shred with using 2 forks and return to the pot.
5. Add lime juice if desired.
Feel free to add avocado as a topping for some healthy fat. This recipe is a perfect addition to your Lifestyle Diet Plan. I hope you enjoy it and if you make it please reach out to me on social media and let me know what you think.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Carbs: 10 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 12 g
Are you looking to transform your health? Mary works with clients all over the country developing personalized nutrition and exercise plans for weight loss and health. If you’re ready to get started on your journey to health and wellness contact her today!