Client Spotlight On Darius – A Lifestyle, Not a Diet Makes for Success
Darius found my name recommended many times on the Nextdoor APP, after searching for a local Nutritionist. He was struggling to lose weight, and was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder called Hashimotos that affects the thyroid gland, making it even harder to lose weight. He had recently returned from a vacation where he was his largest ever at over 270 pounds. He came to me because he “woke up” and decided it was time to find a program that offered him a lifestyle he could live with rather than a quick starvation diet.
When I first interviewed him for his nutrition consultation, he told me he was a picky eater. He was drinking Coke every morning as a “pick me up”. If he ate lunch it was usually out at a restaurant and high in calories and carbohydrates. Evening was when he really began to pack on the calories with a big dinner, some alcohol most nights, and snacks well into the night that were high in sugar and fat.
Darius was hesitant but he agreed to do my BodyDesigns Two-Week Detox Plan to help him combat the sweet cravings and get on a better plan of eating during the day more and less at night. We also worked on getting to sleep earlier so he could get up and workout more regularly in the mornings.
He started with me in early October at 265 lbs. He lost 15 lbs. with the Two-Week Detox Plan and felt much better. His energy level had increased and he was excited to begin his Lifestyle Diet Plan. After the detox, he challenged some foods and found that gluten did not agree with his gut health and now he avoids gluten as much as possible. He continued on his Lifestyle Diet Plan with customizing some of the recipes, making his own smoked salsa every week, thus making the lifestyle change more sustainable, and lost a total of 38 lbs.
Darius is now at 227 lbs. and has been maintaining there for a month. His goal is to get refocused, cut back on the ice cream and reach his final goal of 215 over the next month or two. He has had a great attitude not beating himself up for not being perfect but also being sure to get back on track after his slip ups.
When I asked him, what helped him make this program a success he told me:
1. My wife has been a constant support 24/7 so helping me to make recipes and stay on track has been a team effort.
2. Having constant accountability to logging food and feedback from Mary has helped me to stay the course rather than slip back completely into old habits.
3. Feeling good, having more energy and seeing myself in the mirror has all been positive feedback to keep going.
4. Not being completely deprived of some things that I love but rather working them in as a treat once a week (or more when I’m maintaining not losing) has made this a diet I can stick with for life.
5. Mary’s recipes are easy to prepare but it also motivated my wife and I to make some of our own super clean recipes too.
6. I look differently now at food and I have definitely changed my habits for good
Darius went on to tell me that although he is not entirely where he wants to be, he has the tools to get there and knows that this is a lifestyle not a diet. I am so excited to watch people make the transformation and find the balance they need to be successful and that is exactly what Darius has done. As he continues this journey, I wish him the best of health always.
Are you looking to transform your health? Mary works with clients all over the country developing personalized nutrition and exercise plans for weight loss and health. If you’re ready to get started on your journey to health and wellness contact her today!