Client Spotlight on Fred and Felicia – Eating for Optimal Health and Vitality
Early in September Fred and Felicia reached out to me for a consultation to see how they were doing with their nutrition. Their goal was to lose a little weight but also learn how to incorporate real, healthy foods for optimal health and well-being.
Fred was 209 lbs. with no health issues. He set his first weight loss goal for 195. His biggest concern was that if he didn’t eat enough he wouldn’t have fuel for his long bike rides. He was only doing these rides 2-3 times per week and taking the other 4-5 days off of exercise. We set a goal to add weight training a few days per week when he was not riding.
Fred’s diet was full of unhealthy chemicals from artificial sweeteners, diet sodas and processed, fast foods. Alcohol was too frequent and nutrition was lacking when it came to antioxidants, vitamins and fiber. He was eating way too much protein and not enough vegetables and fruits.
Felicia was 123 lbs. and just looking to lean out to 118, lower her cholesterol and improve her gut health. She was already working out 3-4 times a week with a combination of Peloton cycling and weight lifting. We set a goal to be more consistent and aim for 4-5 days a week.
Felicia’s diet included artificial sweeteners that wreak havoc on gut health and many high carbohydrate foods including eating out at fast food frequently. Although she was really watching portions and trying to control her intake of calories, many of the calories she ate came from quick, processed foods.
Both of them decided they wanted to start with BodyDesigns Two-Week Detox Plan. After just two weeks of super clean eating, Fred lost 11 lbs. and Felicia lost 3 lbs. Fred was still able to do his long rides with a few adjustments to the plan on those days. Both reported feeling great as they began their Lifestyle Diet Plan.
Fast forward 2 months and both of these clients have been so consistent. Fred has lost 21 lbs. in 2 months to actually exceed his goal and Felicia lost 9 lbs. and exceeded her goal. Their new Lifestyle Diets are full of healthy, real, organic foods. They both take the time to plan for meals and snacks and they no longer run to Jimmy John for fast food.
When I asked them what helped them to meet their goals they told me:
1. Felicia – I felt like learning about the quality of food was eye opening as we didn’t always read the labels or learn about chemicals that were in the foods we were eating. I was more concerned with the calories in a food than the quality of what I was putting in my body but now I know quality is just as important if not more so.
2. Fred – I realized reducing my calories and carbohydrates well below my normal intake did not cause me to power crush during the day or during my long-distance cycling (35 to 100 miles). This was achieved by eating super healthy foods and drinking plenty of water. The net result was weight loss and feeling better.
3. Keeping a food log and getting feedback helped us both make changes along the way to keep perfecting our plan.
4. Learning to read labels helps us to continue to make good choices.
5. Feeling good and knowing we are fueling out body with the nutrition it needs to stay healthy is the motivation we need to stay with the program.
Congratulations Fred and Felicia. You both have made amazing changes and your results in both your weight loss and how you feel proves your success. I wish you the best of health always as you continue to live well into your later years.
Are you looking to transform your health? Mary works with clients all over the country developing personalized nutrition and exercise plans for weight loss and health. If you’re ready to get started on your journey to health and wellness contact her today!