Client Spotlight on Shirley – Helping Mom Adopt a Plant-Based Diet
Shirley is a lucky lady to have a son who really cares about her health and well-being. Her son contacted me in late May to discuss a program for his Mom. He was concerned that her current eating habits were the cause of her health issues and really wanted to see her become more plant-based and learn to eat a good, healthy diet full of real foods.
I was cautious as I proceeded to sign her up for a 2-month program with me since it was her son and not her reaching out to me but I wanted to try to help her make these changes so agreed to take her on as a client. She lived several hours away from me so we did our consultation by Zoom.
What I learned about Shirley is that she was 68 years old, 5 feet tall and weighed 189 lbs. She also had high cholesterol, pre-diabetes and gut issues. She was not exercising regularly either. When I looked at her food intake, she was using Splenda, taking in huge amounts of sugar and processed foods along with Coke Zero’s, meals out at fast food restaurants, ice cream at night and chips for snacks. She would tell me as she explained what she was eating what her husband preferred and I quickly realized she was eating based on his preferences which were making her sick and overweight.
Shirley, with the help of her son, was able to begin with my Two-Week Detox Plan and start off losing 12 lbs. that first 2 weeks! I was so impressed with how she stuck to the plan and had no complaints about all the missing fast foods and junk. She went on to follow her Lifestyle Diet Plan and continued to eat healthy, real food and began walking consistently for exercise.
At the end of 2 months, Shirley had already lost 24 lbs. She was slowly working to have more vegetarian meals and learned how to get enough protein with these changes by incorporating plant-based proteins into those meals.
I can’t say enough about how impressed I was with these changes. I think her son was her true hero in all of this by sticking by her side, making the drive to her house to help her and encourage her by doing the program with her even though he already ate very well.
When I asked Shirley what she thought helped her most to be so successful she told me:
1. My son was the one who asked me to see a nutritionist and he was a huge support helping me to set up the APP and learn how to use it and get set up for the 2 Week Detox Plan.
2. After the Detox Plan I lost the 12 lbs. and felt good and realized how important it was to look at the labels and watch what food was going into my body.
3. Following the plan I found it to be refreshing to be eating real food and not going out to fast food restaurants. I was surprised at how easily my husband went along with the new changes.
4. Mary helped me with a few phone calls in between to learn how to get more plant-based but still get my protein. She guided me with how to prepare meals that my husband would eat but make small changes to make them fit my goals too.
5. I took the time to get back in the kitchen and cook real food and found that it was easy and I just needed to get back in that habit so that we wouldn’t be going out to eat all the time.
6. Today I love my Detox shake for breakfast, I always include a big salad for lunch which helps to keep me full and at dinner I make extra vegetables for me and just have a small portion of the meat I cook for my husband. I recommend trying the Extreme Fiber Wraps to substitute for bread and always reading labels.
7. I plan to do the Detox Plan once a year and am grateful for Mary for helping me lose weight. My final goal is 135 and I plan to meet it.
Shirley is on the way to adding years to her life with these new changes in both her diet and exercise. I am so excited to follow her and see how her health issues resolve with these changes.Congratulations Shirley and I wish you the best of health always.
Are you looking to transform your health? Mary works with clients all over the country developing personalized nutrition and exercise plans for weight loss and health. If you’re ready to get started on your journey to health and wellness contact her today!