Spaghetti Squash Pasta
Cut down on carbs with this healthy alternative to a pasta dinner. Spaghetti squash is nutritionally superior to pasta which doesn’t really contain any amount of nutrition.By substituting this delicious squash for pasta you not only avoid the unwanted carbs but you get a powerhouse of nutrition.
Spaghetti squash is loaded with vitamin A, C, B-vitamins, potassium, beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, and essential minerals. It also contains the essential fatty acids omega-3 and omega-6, and has potent antimicrobial properties. It is perfect for your clean-eating plan and definitely a better choice than your regular pasta.
Choose a squash that is bright yellow. If the squash is not ripe it won’t have any flavor. Below I give you a simple way to prepare it quickly in the microwave but you can also cut it open, remove the seeds and roast it in the oven at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. For more information about how to prepare spaghetti squash and everything you might want to know about choosing one etc. check out this great article at Chew the World – The Definitive Guide to Perfect Spaghetti Squash.
Hope you enjoy this tasty recipe! If you are following my Two Week Detox Plan this is a Detox Friendly Recipe!
Spaghetti Squash Pasta
1 spaghetti squash, cooked
1 T coconut oil
1/2 sweet onion sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
4 cups kale, stems removed
1/4 cup pine nuts
salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare spaghetti squash by poking holes throughout with a sharp knife. Put in microwave wrapped in paper towels for 10-15 minutes turning every 5 minutes. Squash is done when it’s soft. Set aside to cool.
2. Heat coconut oil in large saute pan. Saute onions for 5-7 minutes until golden brown.
3. Add garlic and mushrooms to pan and cook for 5 more minutes.
4. Add kale and 2 T water to pan and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, slice open the spaghetti squash and remove the seeds. Using a fork scrape out the insides and add to the pan. Add tomatoes and pine nuts and stir to combine.
Serve as a side or main dish. Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Fat: 8 g
Carb: 14 g
Protein: 4 g
Are you looking to transform your health? Mary works with clients all over the country developing personalized nutrition and exercise plans for weight loss and health. If you’re ready to get started on your journey to health and wellness contact her today!
Visit BodyDesigns Two Week Detox Plan or BodyDesignsbyMary for more information.
[…] an earlier blog I posted a delicious recipe for Spaghetti Squash Pasta using sun dried tomatoes, kale and pine nuts. Check it out here for another variety. You can also […]
[…] Spaghetti Squash Pasta by Bodydesignbymary.com […]