How to Lose Weight After Menopause
This year Pam made it her New Year’s Resolution to get in shape and lose some weight. As a postmenopausal woman, the weight had crept on her over the years. She was already moderately active and tried to watch what she ate but her job was sedentary and over the years her weight had crept up. Her blood pressure and cholesterol were both borderline high and she decided it was time to take care of herself.
Pam found my website online and contacted me about having a free introductory session. After discussing her goals, work schedule and price point, she decided to do my Lifestyles Program where she would meet with me every Saturday morning for a workout and accountability. During the week she committed herself to getting up early and going to the gym before work or right after work.
When Pam started with me in January she weighed in at 163.5 lbs. Her goal was to lose 23.5 lbs. and find her comfortable and healthy weight of 140. She also wanted to increase her muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness.
Pam thought she was eating healthy when I met her and like most people she was buying “low fat” foods, frozen “diet” meals and trying to skip breads at meals. Many of her snacks were too high in sugar even though they were supposedly “health” foods. Being an empty nester, Pam and her husband also frequented restaurants on a regular basis eating anything from Mexican to pizza or Sushi. The combination of eating the wrong foods and not being accountable to the bottom line calories each day were keeping Pam from losing the weight.
I developed a Lifestyle Diet Plan for Pam helping her incorporate easy to prepare foods that she could grab and bring to work with her. She committed herself to planning and preparing foods on the weekend so she had quick meals and snacks all week long and to avoid going out to dinner so frequently. I also worked with her on what to order at the different restaurants she and her husband like to visit. We worked in her glass of wine each night but limited the quantity.
Pam had several weeks where she maintained her weight and didn’t lose due to a busy schedule moving into a new home. During this time she stopped logging her food and found that she was not losing anymore. Once she settled into her new home she began to log food again and the weight started to fall off again. If we took out that period of weight maintenance, Pam lost about 4 lbs. each month and met her goal! She didn’t’ starve herself and still enjoyed a dinner out each week and an almost nightly glass of wine or beer. She changed her lifestyle to one that she could live with and saw the pounds come off slow but steady.
When I asked Pam what helped her the most in her success she said:
1. Preparing foods/menus in advance was key to me avoiding the dinners out and allowed for no excuses for not having a healthy lunch and snacks to take to work.
2. My husband was onboard with the food choices and he was my partner making it much easier to follow a plan.
3. Being allowed my wine or beer each night was important since this is a part of my lifestyle that I don’t want to give up.
4. Learning to eat out and enjoy the company and relaxation of an evening out without ruining my clean eating plan was key.
5. Not being in a hurry to lose was key also. I didn’t put the weight on overnight and I had to accept that it wasn’t going to come off overnight either!
6. Being accountable to a food log was invaluable. I learned so much about what I was eating and the constant feedback from Mary helped to keep me on track. The period that I didn’t log my food was proof enough that you must “log to lose” as Mary always says.
Congratulations to Pam! She not only looks fantastic but she has reduced her risk for cardiovascular disease. She has increased her muscle strength and can enjoy her grandchildren and keep up with them without hurting herself. Pam has successfully changed her lifestyle and that is what it’s all about! Let food be thy medicine and live healthy and well!
Are you looking to transform your health? Mary works with clients all over the country developing personalized nutrition and exercise plans for weight loss and health. If you’re ready to get started on your journey to health and wellness contact her today!