How To Lose Weight In Your 20’s
Kelly contacted me in January about wanting to lose weight and get in shape before she went to medical school. She had struggled with her weight throughout college and tried many diet and exercise programs only to lose a few pounds and gain them right back again.
She was living in another state at the time so Kelly and I talked and did our consults over the phone. After discussing her current eating habits it was clear that although she was trying to eat less calories, Kelly was choosing some of the wrong foods. Her diet had too many processed, “low-fat” items and not enough real food. She was trying to workout with some videos available to her in her apartment but the workouts were not consistent and lacked enough intensity to really help her see changes.
Kelly started on BodyDesigns Two-Week Detox Plan Total Package that included unlimited email support and a workout plan. After the detox plan she reported that she had lost 10 lbs., was exercising 5 days a week with her new routine and felt great. Kelly told me that she would take her own Kombucha when she went out with friends and pour it into a glass and no one ever knew she wasn’t drinking wine! At 23 years old this was a smart move since peer pressure can be very hard to overcome and alcohol can really hinder our weight loss progress.
After she completed the detox plan she decided she wanted to continue with a Lifestyle Diet Plan. I prepared a plan for her that fit in with her likes, dislikes, lifestyle and goals. She logged her food in the Lose It App on her phone and sent me daily logs to help keep her accountable and allow me to give her constant feedback on her diet.
In just over a 2 month period, Kelly reported having lost 20 lbs. and is still keeping it off 2 months later! She told me that she feels like she has changed her eating habits for good and finally learned how to control her weight with diet and exercise.
When I asked her what helped her to be so successful she told me:
1. The Detox Plan helped me lose that initial 10 lbs., which not only made me feel great but it motivated me to continue to eat healthy and lose the rest of the weight.
2. The diet plan was more of a lifestyle plan, which was based on things I liked to eat so I didn’t feel deprived but rather just embraced the changes as being permanent.
3. Logging my food in Lose It and sending logs to Mary helped me to “see” where my macronutrients came from in my diet and also gave her a way to give me feedback on my eating so I could make corrections along the way.
4. Learning to have substitutes for alcohol or ways to drink less was key since I am at an age where going out to bars is part of my social life.
5. Having Mary available to answer my questions when I got stuck or needed advice was like having my own personal nutrition coach and she was incredible always getting back to me quickly with great advice as to how I could stay on track.
WOW! Kelly you look great and I’m so proud of you that you have found a healthy lifestyle to take with you to medical school. What you have learned will not only help you but you will be an inspiration and a great source of information for your patients as you see them struggling with weight and health issues. Best of luck in medical school – I know you will make a great doctor!
Are you looking to transform your health? Mary works with clients all over the country developing personalized nutrition and exercise plans for weight loss and health. If you’re ready to get started on your journey to health and wellness contact her today!